Are you suspecting awful smells coming from your shower? We got you covered! While this is common in most homes, this could be prevented. If this is the case, you can just wash your showers clean. But other issues may not be easier to detect. At MidCity Plumbers, we want you to be equipped with dealing with these issues. In this blog, get to know about the causes of shower drain smells and what you can do to resolve them.
Causes of shower drain smells
Most shower smells can be traced back to P-trap issues. A P-trap is a U-shaped section of pipe that dips down below the rest of your shower drain. P-traps block sewer gases from escaping into your restroom. It holds water to keep gases from sewer lines from getting through any shower or sink drains. If your P-trap is dry or dirty, chances are that you are also confronted with sewer smells. Make sure to check your P-traps regularly. If you don’t have the necessary tools to disassemble and clean your P-trap, call the nearest professional plumber to help you.
Buildup of biofilm
Bioflim is some sort of slime. Some even may look like molds. Biofilm forms from bacterial waste, so it’s no surprise that most shower smells can come from biofilm buildup. Bacteria love growing in a humid and moist environment like your showers. Make sure to have biofilm cleaned from your showers as early as possible as this also causes danger to your health, contributing to various diseases like Salmonella or E.coli.
Much like biofilm, mold growth is also a major culprit in contributing bad smells to your showers. Mold growth in your shower and your shower drain may lead to unpleasant odors. If the shower drain smells like mildew or worse than that, then you may have mold or biofilm growing inside your drain. Better have it cleaned by professionals for much safer removal of the mold as this can also pose health dangers if inhaled.
What to do when you shower drain smells
When you suspect that something smelling bad comes from your shower drain, the best thing to do is to contact a professional plumber expert to clean your shower and resolve the problem. However, there are times when a simple DIY can resolve shower smells. We also have provided here a brief list to help you when you are experiencing shower drain smells:
- Clean your P-traps with baking soda and white vinegar
- Use disinfectant products
- Assess any issues that may be traced back to internal problems such as leaking pipes, etc.
- Don’t forget to clean the area around your drain
- If you can, take out any debris that you think may lead to further contamination or clogging
Tools and products you’ll need
To further clean and get rid of your shower smells, here are some tools that you can use:
- Safe commercial shower and grout cleaner or a bleach-free cleaning solution
- Homemade mixed solutions like vinegar or baking soda
- Extendable scrubber
- An all-purpose brush
- Shower spray bottle
Steps to clean shower drain
- To clean your P-traps, start by first pouring ½ cup of baking soda down the drain, letting it sit for around 15 minutes, then wash it down with ½ cup of white distilled vinegar. You can cover the drain with a stopper to let the chemical reaction work without having to smell most of it.
- For mold growth or biofilm build-up, use a brush or any other tool you think is necessary to break up the film and wipe it away by spraying the surface with a gentle cleaner.
- For molds or biofilms in your drain, first, remove the drain cover and clean it. Then, you can start scrubbing the areas with biofilms with your all-purpose brush and spray bottle with a cleanser. Make sure you have access to professional drain cleaners or cleaners recommended by the professionals for much safer and more efficient cleaning.
When to contact a professional plumber for solutions
If you think the shower smells are beyond your control, it’s time to let the professionals handle the issue. They have the right tools and expertise to deal with these kinds of problems. Plus, you get to save a lot of money as you prevent yourself from doing more harm than good in getting rid of shower smells. This is where our team comes in. MidCity Plumbers is a certified team of expert plumbers with the necessary tools and expertise for providing quality plumbing and cleaning services when necessary. Our efficient service includes plumbing and heating services completely right from the assessment through the final stages. We’ll get rid of the main causes of shower smell in the least amount of time and in a much safer way.
If you are experiencing challenges in getting rid of blockages and smelly showers, contact MidCity Plumbers today. Our plumbing services are available in residential and commercial areas. We cover all your plumbing needs from leaks, clogs, to hot water heaters or any drainage problems. Just contact us at 📞 (778) 772-8676 and we can get to you as early as possible.